Monthly Archives: April 2018

Moving on up

They say that necessity is the mother of invention, so when we learned that publishers were required to update their article pages to keep in line with revised search engine specifications, we took the opportunity for a little reinvention.

We were informed that we needed to move the abstract further up the article page, to aid search engine crawlers to index pages as efficiently as possible. Coincidently, this was something that we had already been thinking about as you would have seen in our previous blog post. We wanted our users to get to the content (the thing that they are interested in) as quickly and as smoothly as possible.

We listen to every bit of feedback that we receive from our users, and hoard these little nuggets of insight to ensure that when we make changes, we deliver things that are both relevant and useful. As we were having to make some changes, we decided to go back through everything we had related to the article page, and incorporate some of these suggestions and fix any problems that our users face.

Pre re-design

In a happy coincidence, the overwhelming theme in the feedback, was that the position of the original header box containing the journal information was forcing the content too far down the page. Meaning that it was hidden from view. Our users wanted the content in plain sight, they wanted it above the fold so that they could see it without having to scroll down.

So, at the risk of using too many sayings, we decided to kill two birds with one stone and move the journal information section to the right-hand column of the page. This then meant that the content was immediately accessible, and naturally created a section of tools and information relating to the article, to the right of the page.

 

This is not just an issue on Emerald Insight, even some of the biggest sites in the world experience this same problem due to different browser sizes and windows restricting visibility. Here are a couple of blog posts from staff at Google discussing the problem:

http://googlecode.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/introducing-google-browser-size.html

https://search.googleblog.com/2012/01/page-layout-algorithm-improvement.html

 

 

 

 

© 2018 Emerald Publishing Limited